• This position is for a 3-year research project Development of adaptive control based on non-parametric auto-tuning for grid-connected converters funded by Khalifa University of Science and Technology. The objective of this research project is to develop adaptive control for grid connected converters, based on the non-parametric auto-tuning principle.
• The research associate (RA) will focus on modeling of the grid connected converters, closed-loop control of these converters and the development of tuning rules for the PID controllers used in the auto-tuning algorithms.
• It is expected that the candidate will contribute to a high quality research aimed at producing internationally competitive results and high-profile publications - thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
• Participation in this research project may be transitional towards PhD studies. RA tries their best to acquire the skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor/post-doctoral fellow. High level of motivation for advancing the research is a must.
• The required skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written formats, the ability to assist in master level research works, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to assist in graduate level courses.
• Conduct theoretical and experimental research; write research reports; contribute to writing of research papers.
• A Masters degree in Electrical Engineering with specialization is Power Electronics or related field (thesis focused on application to power electronic system will be an added advantage).
• In depth knowledge on modeling of the power converters, power system modeling, closed loop control of grid connected converters, simulation using MATLAB. Exposure to non-linear control, parametric and non-parametric tuning and adaptive controls is an added advantages.
• In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in generic computational tools, such as, MATLAB, ETAP or similar.
• In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in programming TEXAS DSP/dSPACE based digital controllers or equivalent.
• Experience in experimental work related to power converters.
• The ability to formulate research problems and write scientific papers.
• A high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and ability to work in a project team with minimum guidance.
• The ability to guide UG senior and Master students in relevant topics.
• Excellent inter-personal communication skills.
• Excellent English language skills, spoken and written.
• Experience in hardware with experimental work on power electronic converters (IGBT and SIC MSOFET based),
• Experience in power circuit testing, troubleshooting, and power circuit analysis using high-end instruments.
• Experience in TEXAS DSP or similar DSP systems and/or dSPACE controller or equivalent, programming these controllers
• Experience in design of printed circuit boards, interfacing controller with power circuit, testing and troubleshooting.