Department: Risk Advisory Services – Gulf
Location: Dubai, with travel to other Pinsent Masons offices
Job Title: Senior Practice Development Lawyer
Hours of work: [standard office hours], but with considerable flexibility. We would welcome a three to four day flexible working arrangement.
This is a senior role responsible for knowledge management and promoting and driving innovative service delivery in the disputes teams based in the Middle East. The role will support the Head of Knowledge in developing and implementing the knowledge strategy for the region.
The role has specific responsibility for:
working with the SmartDelivery team to enhance our legal service delivery through innovative use of people, processes and technology
shaping and implementing new and innovative practices, products and resources for external clients and lawyers
working with local partners, BD team and SmartDelivery team to build and promote the Pinsent Masons brand and reputation for innovation in legal service delivery in the Middle East
working with the BD team on all aspects of client-facing knowledge in the Middle East, including content marketing, thought leadership, credentials and the knowledge aspects of pitches
identifying legislative and regulatory developments in the region and ensuring teams are up to date and aware of the impact of those developments
identifying relevant topics for legal training across the Middle East
establishing and maintaining appropriate knowledge sharing infrastructure and systems (eg. HUBs) and to populate and manage them
cultivating a knowledge sharing culture in the region so lawyers actively contribute knowhow and deliver/participate in legal training
[We anticipate this role will be 50% focused on external client related activities and 50% focused on internal lawyer needs.]
Purpose of the role:
There are three aspects to Pinsent Masons' knowledge strategy:
· High quality legal and technical capability, to support the delivery of high quality services to our clients;
· Client Knowledge, to support relationships with clients and enhance our business's reputation;
· Efficient delivery of legal services, using legal knowledge engineering and technology.
The role supports the Head of Knowledge in implementing this strategy in the Middle East. Working with partners in the Middle East and contacts across the business, the role will identify knowledge needs and provide solutions.
Main duties and responsibilities:
· Work with Group Innovation Managers and SmartDelivery team, identify and exploit opportunities to introduce more efficient ways of working. Adapt existing technology solutions, workflow solutions and other products for use in the region. Promote their use and a culture of continuous improvement.
· Identify and deploy new or alternative practices, products and resources that will engage with clients, improve brand awareness or favourability or differentiate Pinsent Masons in the market
· Work with others in the business to leverage the SmartDelivery products, solutions and services for marketing purposes to build and promote the Pinsent Masons brand locally
· Provide a current awareness services, maximising the use of external and internal resources, so the fee earners in the region are aware of legal developments and their impact on clients and our business
· Deploy technology based systems to support effective knowledge sharing and development across the region.
· Identify topics for publication in targeted journals and media (including Out-law.com) to raise the business's profile in the Middle East; provide or co-ordinate commentary or insight, develop and promote thought leadership and other content marketing in the Middle East
· Develop a knowledge plan for the Risk Advisory Services teams in the region, in collaboration with the Head of Knowledge and relevant business leadership, covering all aspects required to develop and sustain market-leading technical legal capability, including legal and business knowhow, technical training, knowledge sharing and client value added services.
· Work with Knowledge Management E-Services team to design, deploy and maintain knowledge sharing systems in the region; establish systems to capture and share knowhow and precedents and where possible adapt existing content so it is suitable for use in the relevant jurisdictions.
· Establish a strategy for debriefing secondees and running matter debriefs; feeding lessons learned to client and sector teams.
· Work with Head of Knowledge, Research and Library teams to identify strategic knowledge resources to provide legal and sector knowledge. Promote best use of those platforms and subscriptions and other business-wide subscriptions/platforms in the region.
· Manage relationships with third parties (e.g. legal knowhow/research platforms) responsible for supporting the delivery of high quality legal services in the region.
· A qualified lawyer with c.6 years' experience of working in a disputes team in a commercial law firm or in a significant in-house legal function.
· An understanding of professional services knowledge management strategy and experience of high quality implementation in a law firm environment.
· Knowledge of IT applications and their relevance to the knowledge operations of law firms.
· Project management experience in a partnership environment.
· Experience of budget management
· Fluent English language skills are essential. Knowledge of Arabic would be advantageous but not necessary.
· Strong inter-personal skills, well-honed influencing and presentation skills.
· Persuasive – the ability to change and influence senior personnel.
· A thorough understanding of delivering in a fast changing environment.
· Excellent networker.
· Team oriented but able to work alone and drive progress independently.
· Demonstrable project management skills.
Personal Qualities / Behaviours:
· Confident and outgoing personality.
· Highly collaborative and able to work among a group of high-performing peers.
· Attention to detail and ability to handle a demanding workload.
· Drive, enthusiasm and resilience.
· Self-starter – innovative, takes the initiative and follows through.
· Creates confidence with partners and forges co-operative working relationships with colleagues.
· Manage multiple projects and stakeholders in a fast-paced and demanding environment, and ability to work flexibly within and across functional organisational lines.