The Senior Research Compliance Specialist is responsible for creating, developing, implementing, and promoting the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Program at KAUST, The reputation of KAUST as an internationally respected research institution is dependent upon the ethical practices of its researchers. RCR training provides the foundation for ethical research practices across the University s research community. A state-of-the-art RCR program developed and implemented by the Senior Research Compliance Specialist will ensure that the University s conducts research that meets or exceeds international ethics standards. In addition, the reputation of the University is also impacted by the ethical practices that the University s graduates and post-doctoral fellows take with them when they leave the University. The Senior Research Compliance Specialist will ensure the University s students and postdocs leave KAUST as ethical scientists.
The Senior Research Compliance Specialist plays a strategic role in promoting a culture of responsible and ethical conduct of research at KAUST. This will require analyzing the complex network of existing systems, which partially address RCR topics, and persuading stakeholders to move towards an integrated approach to RCR training across the University. The diverse and multicultural research environment at KAUST requires an innovative and multifaceted approach that is highly contextualized. The RCR program will address the following domains: Conflicts of Interest, Human Subjects, Vertebrate Animals, Research Safety, Authorship, Peer Review, Data Acquisition and Management, Mentorship, Research Misconduct, Collaborative Research and the Scientist as a Responsible Member of Society. The Senior Research Compliance Specialist serves as a subject matter expert with extensive demonstrated working knowledge of regulations and guidelines pertaining to the ethical and responsible conduct of research.
Responsibilities include curriculum development and delivery, deployment and management, monitoring and validating program effectiveness, assisting with investigations and enquiries into alleged scientific misconduct, and day-to-day administrative duties associated with the RCR program. Secondary duties include providing administrative support to the following programs and associated faculty-led committees: animal care and use, biosafety, human subject s research, radiation safety, and scientific diving.
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Program
• Create policies pertaining to RCR
• Coordinate existing efforts/guidance documents
• Baseline with external colleagues to identify best practices
• Develop guidance documents and web content
• Develop course curriculum
• Create and deliver training/presentations
• Interact with faculty, staff, students and administrators
• Track compliance with established training requirements
• Audit the effectiveness of the RCR program as a whole
• Coordinate investigations/enquiries into alleged scientific misconduct
• Administer the RCR program
Animal Care and Use, Biosafety, Human Subjects Research, Radiation Safety, and Scientific Diving Programs
• Assist faculty members with application development
• Support faculty-led committees
• Assist with web content development, data system administration, and guidance document development
• Supplement administration of Research Compliance activities
• Other duties as assigned
• Customer driven approach
• Demonstrated expertise in RCR governance practices
• Proactive and self-driven
• Strong organizational skills
• Collaborative nature with strong persuasive skills
• Firm understanding of scientific practices and research methods
• Knowledge of organizational and administrative support processes
• Experience taking and transcribing notes and minutes and/or formal proceedings
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications
• Excellent verbal, written communication, and presentation skills
• High degree of confidentiality
Qualifications & Experience
Doctoral or Master s degree in a legal, regulatory or scientific field.
Five years of compliance experience within a research environment. Direct experience with RCR program administration preferred. Substantial direct experience in RCR may be considered in lieu of educational requirements.