Job Summary and Purpose
Assist in identifying potential business opportunities by conducting analysis and performing economic evaluations of various opportunities while developing and keeping track of key business indicators for on-going division activities. Collaborate with people across all levels of the organization to report, manage and monitor key operational and financial performance indicators.
Tools and Forecasts:
1. Responsible for developing tools and forecasts for understanding the future outlook for the various product lines that Nakilat is involved in or may become involved in.
2. Make sound recommendations based on research about potential business and investment opportunities that may arise in the future.
3. Conduct top-down (Macro) and Bottom-up (Micro) economic analysis of potential commercial transactions such as LNGC and LPGCs acquisitions etc.
4. Analyze actual operating results and identify key financial & operating issues that need to be addressed.
5. Responsible for gathering market intelligence and insights from the field of shipping and energy on a continuous basis from investment banks, research firms and renowned ship-brokers.
6. Develop and maintain internal financial models for analyzing business performance
7. Assist in developing business cases for vessel or company acquisitions.
Preparation of Budgets:
8. Work on the annual budget and liaise with the Finance and Treasury divisions for any queries and problems that may arise.
9. Provide analytical support for any strategic initiatives and studies related to shipping (or other businesses Nakilat may be involved in). Develop financial models, conducting financial statement analysis or any ad-hoc analysis to support these strategic initiatives which the organization is undertaking.
10. Value assets by assessing the current condition and the future potential. The Senior Shipping Analyst shall recommend debt structures by analyzing refinancing options.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE):
11. Adhere to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures, instructions and controls so that NAKILAT provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures:
12. Implement approved policies, processes and procedures, and provide instructions to subordinates to ensure their proper implementation.
13. Examine and interpret data from various sources and understand the impact which this will have on a decision which has to be taken for making an investment.
14. Prepare and submit research reports to the senior management with investment ideas.
15. Prepare weekly briefing notes for P&L and other key performance metrics on the current state of the LNG business.
16. Research similar shipping companies in the sector along with satellite corporations so as to make informed recommendations to the top management.
17. Carry out any other duties as directed by the immediate supervisor.
Key Result Areas
• Provide analytical support for strategic initiatives and studies
• Prepare budgets and control costs
• Gather market intelligence and provide insights based on that
Interactions and Working Relationships
• Frequent interaction with divisions /departments within the organization such as Fleet, Finance and Treasury etc.
• Occasional interaction with corporate executives, investment bankers, analysts, economists, ship-brokers and ship-owners
• Not Applicable
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a shipping related discipline such as Marine Engineering.
• An MBA / Master’s degree in Econometrics or Finance is preferred.
• Minimum 4 - 8 years of experience in a shipping related field with exposure to shipping terminology, charters, COA’s and fundamentals such as standard voyage calculations and associated economics. Prior sailing experience will be an added advantage but is not a must
• Minimum 2 years of experience in Corporate Finance role in shipping or banking sector preferably.
Job Specific Skills:
• Strong analytical skills with a solid experience in economic analysis.
• Good knowledge of various analytical models and methodology
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Experience in developing/monitoring budgets and forecasts
• Understanding of shipping markets and commercial issues