Senior Software Engineer
About the role
Come join the Captain engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our Captains to simplify and improve the lives of people. The Captain engineering team is building the supply platform of the region which will help create opportunities for people in one of the most dynamic and diverse regions in the world.
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and Captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Captain Ride Backend team, you will be a part of a cross-functional team developing a highly scalable and reliable services that our drivers use every day. You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help design, build and maintain the business critical services that our Captains (drivers) interact with every day on the Careem platform. Your focus will be around helping lead the technical direction that the team takes and solve business problems in an architecturally sound and scalable manner and help the mobile team build core app functionality which works in a hybrid online/offline manner.
This role is for a position in Dubai, UAE
Key responsibilities include:
• Write high quality, performant and reliable code which while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
• Design highly scalable and well-bounded services that deliver on business requirements.
• Break tasks down to enable more junior team members to work effectively and independently.
• Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
• Participate in team agile processes and practices, contribute to their continuous evolution.
• Work closely with other engineering leaders across the team to design and build highly scalable and robust services. .
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
• 7 years of professional experience in Software Development in Java microservice ecosystems.
• Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
• Experience building scalable distributed systems on AWS, using the Spring framework.
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
• Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
• Experience in building complex services and microservices.
• Experience decomposing a monolith application into microservices.
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 30 million users. Careem s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.