The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Jordan
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Technical Shelter Assistant - Construction - Azraq
Role Specific Information
The role of the Technical shelter assistant is day to day implementation of requester's tasks, either maintenance or new constructions, in this position, you will be responsible for managing a group of laborers in order to support you finishing your tasks, and to report daily progress report to the line manager.
• Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
• Assist a range of support with the implementation of the Core Competency portfolio according to plan of action.
• Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core competency as delegated.
• Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team.
• Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and standards for the area of work.
• Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
• Ensure proper filing of documents.
• Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
• Designing any type of structures, and preparing fully detailed shop drawings, work plans, BOQs.
• Following up with contractors and making sure that they commit to the work plan, and that their work is done based on the required specification, and reporting and challenges faced or expected.
• Preparing daily, weekly, progress and final reports, and making sure that all documents are well documented. Working on sites constructions and upgrades, and always making sure that they are always functional, accessible and in a good condition.
• Supporting other engineers in their work whenever is needed and requested.
• Directly managing laborers on site, and making sure that they are wearing all needed safety gears, and to make sure that all needed materials, tools and vehicles are available.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for candidates with a Bachelor s degree in Civil or Architectural engineering with minimum one year of experience in a relevant field. Knowledge and experience within a relevant administration, craft or technical field and ideally a relevant vocational qualification, Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context, Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts with some knowledge of English.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels, to have the ability to analyze data and trends for informed decisions and Capacity building skills.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early as applications will be screened as received and position will close once a suitable candidate is identified.
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :