Technical Shelter Assistant - Construction Supervisor "National Only" - Jordan
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Jordan
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization s core values:
dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our
actions and relationships.
The role of the Technical Assistant will assist the Shelter Officer in the management of the workshops
and surveying works. The Workshop technical assistant will manage production processes of all
prefabricated elements in the workshop and the site.
• Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
• Assist a range of support with the implementation of the Core Competency portfolio
according to plan of action.
• Implements independently procedures and activities within own function or core
competency as delegated.
• Responsible for organizing and delivery of tasks in line with priorities and standards.
• Develop and maintain knowledge of the specialist area of work in which technical assistance
and support is being provided, in order to be most effective in supporting the team.
• Use initiative in day to day problem solving in line with agreed procedures, priorities and
standards for the area of work.
• Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
• Ensure proper filing of documents.
• Promote and share ideas for improvement in your area of expertise.
• Prepare detailed plans for project implementation and ensure follow up and updating of the
plan during implementation.
• Resolves engineering problems by collecting and analyzing information; researching,
analyzing, adapting, and modifying engineering techniques; recommending solutions;
preparing drawings, schematics, and diagrams.
• Keep records of all incentive labor working with the team with the description of the activities
conducted, details of the incentive labor.
• Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to
the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on
or near the earth's surface for engineering, map making, mining, land evaluation,
construction, and other purposes.
• Reporting work progress on daily, weekly or monthly basis as it will be agreed with the line
manager based on the available workload and based on the nature of the given task.
• Any other tasks assigned by the officer or the team leader.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in surveying engineering or equivalent with a minimum of one year previous experience in relevant field. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts. Experience from working within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context. Experience from working within technical expertise area. Documented results related to the position s responsibilities and to have Some knowledge of English
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st of December 2018 "renewable based on the fund and performance"
Salary/benefits: 842 JOD "subject to social security"
Duty station: Za'atari Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
B: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
Related documents Job Description
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :