The Translation Lead consults regularly with the Research Center Directors, Faculty, IED and external stakeholders on matters of identification and exploitation of new opportunities for research collaboration and translation. The incumbent will analyze and report on existing and potential collaborative relationships, including those with downstream partners. Plays a key role in monitoring cross-disciplinary award and funding program effectiveness through project management, data management, analysis, communication and continuous improvement activities by overseeing the establishment, redefinition, and strengthening of relationships between KAUST and international awardees, collaborators and advisers.
• Design and implement activities that strengthen KAUST s INK partnership and Translation ecosystem.
• Serves as a bridge between the basic research and subsequent expansion of translation activities, into IED units or governmental and industrial partners.
• Works with IED and facilitates contact between Principal Investigators and the Office of Technology Transfer and Innovation (TTI) to identify promising potential industrial engagements and applications arising from inventions and discoveries funded by internally- and externally-funded awards.
• Provides expert science policy and advice on developing and promoting core research strategies and implementation plans to facilitate the establishment of research connectivity between KAUST and potential users of discoveries.
• Prepares and coordinates scientific briefings, reports, or meetings related to topics of strategic interest to KAUST and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; develops presentation materials for the Director and KAUST leadership; and performs other duties encompassing senior-level liaison activities in support of the KAUST research and translation missions.
• Provides advice to the Director and management team in activities involving the review of program initiatives and major new projects, long-range plans as these relate to translation activities and other societal impacts.
• Oversees the review of research progress reports and the tracking of research progress and achievements from Award Projects focusing on Kingdom relevance and commercial/industrial opportunities.
• Develops extension strategies for KAUST research personnel (e.g., faculty, KAUST Research Center personnel, and post-doctoral fellows) to establish, redefine, and strengthen the relationship between KAUST and potential external collaborators.
• Provides expert guidance, leadership, and representation in multidisciplinary coordination and cross-organizational partnerships.
• Serves as translation mentor and coach to faculty and researchers from divisions and departments of KAUST and the larger KAUST community.
• Participates in professional activities to keep abreast of current scientific and research trends related to KAUST s Research Mission and Research Thrusts - food, water, energy and the environment.
• Analyzes work methods, program functions, and processes utilizing qualitative and quantitative techniques to recommend new solutions to collaborative relationship problems and issues that have impact on the effectiveness of funding programs and awards.
• Analyzes and evaluates data on programs and prepare and present data to management.
• Staffs, coaches, trains, manages and evaluates a team of professional level administrators and specialists, and
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Research contributions and evidence of scholarship equivalent to that a university Associate to Full Professor, along with broad knowledge and appreciation of the frontiers of modern science and technology transfer and translation;
• Development of technology roadmaps and performance of gap analysis for technology maturation.
• Demonstrated ability to work lead, mentor and empower collaborative groups and achieve organizational goals;
• Skilled in creating and executing intellectual property strategies for a broad range of technologies.
• Review or contracts and development of agreements related to funding agencies or technology investors.
• Presentation/training skills, including experience in the design and facilitation of short- and long-term training programs;
• Ability to work independently using own initiative, and to deliver high-quality work against deadlines;
• Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
• Knowledge of university-based scientific and engineering research and graduate education, both mission and operations;
• Ability to work collaboratively and foster a cooperative work environment with multi-cultural research faculty, university research administrators, graduate students, colleagues, and others at all levels who are engaged in world-class research;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English;
• Excellent overall computer skills and solid experience in data management software (quantitative and qualitative) including databases (web-based and local);
• Presentation skills, including experience presenting to senior leadership;
• Training skills, including experience in the design and facilitation of short- and long-term training program.
Requires any combination of education and equivalent experience of a Ph.D. or equivalent in science areas related to KAUST s mission.
At least 11 years of professional experience, 7 years of which must have included specialized experience which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position; and five years of management experience.
• Experience in leading multidisciplinary research and development team is highly desirable;
• Experience with idea generation, technology transfer and grant funding systems is highly desirable;
• Extensive experience in planning and executing workshops or events that foster collaboration and engagement.
• Knowledge of peer-reviewed research funding operations and/or experience with merit-based competitive procurement processes a plus.
• International experience is a plus; and
• Arabic language skills.