To establish, coordinate and maintain the efficient operation of the Tumor Registry. To register and follow patients with a diagnosis of malignancy, and to retrieve, analyze and present registry data in accordance with professional ethics.
The Registrar serves the Saudi Aramco health (approx. 240,000 employees and dependents), ensuring that all cases of malignancy are identified and accurately recorded in the registry data base. The Tumor Registrar works under the direction of the Cancer Center, and has specific authority to retrieve patient information from multiple sources within JHAH. Sole responsibility for development, enhancement and maintenance of the highly confidential computer program. Ensures compliance with the recommendations for an approved cancer program set forth by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. The Tumor Registrar is required to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Serves as liaison to medical staff, administration and outside agencies on cancer registry activities. Daily contact with physicians, oncologists, pathology and radiology specialists, cancer committee chairman, medical record staff, and allied health professionals. Provides staff assistance and coordination of weekly oncology meetings and all other cancer committee meetings/presentations.
• Significance to Saudi Aramco: Evaluation of specific cancer trends and identification of high-risk groups/areas where development of additional screening program may prevent future malignancies. Annual follow up of all cancer patients eligible for continued care within JHAH.
• Establish procedures for identification of all cases of malignant disease from Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare where patients are diagnosed or treated. Close contact with the divisions of pathology services, oncology, medical referrals, inpatient and outpatient records.
• Prepares a comprehensive cancer abstract on all cases of malignancy, obtaining core information from the patient s medical records, including demographic characteristics, history of cancer, diagnostic procedures, diagnosis, stage, extent of disease and treatment. Enter to the specialized computer program all cancer data, following stringent guidelines set forth by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
• Provide life-time follow-up for all eligible patients, to obtain end-results information on the quality of life and length of survival.
• Organize and maintain a data system which conforms to the standards of Tumor Registry operation and meets the needs of the users. Code topography, morphology and treatment of all malignancies.
• Develop and maintain quality control of case findings, abstracting, coding, follow-up and data processing procedures.
• Formulate procedures for manual and computer retrieval of registry data.
• Preparation of graphs, charts and narrative reports illustrating cancer incidence, treatment and survival. Assistance with cancer-related studies for clinicians and management. Preparation of a tumor registry annual report summarizing the annual statistics/activities of the cancer program.
• Development and implementation of office policies and procedures, and quality assurance.
• Sole responsibility for JHAH s cancer data management program.
Bachelor s degree in Tumor/Cancer Registry.
Minimum 5 years of experience in the field.
Certifications/Other requirements as applicable
• Certification by the National Tumor Registrar s Association (NTRA).
• A thorough knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, pathologic terms, mathematics, statistics, computer science, and managerial skills.
• Excellent oral and written English, including medical terminology. Must be able to interpret pathologic/radiologic and other diagnostic reports in order to accurately present cancer data.
• Incumbent should be familiar with the National Cancer Institute s "SEER" program (Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Reporting).
• Must be fully conversant with the American Joint Committee on Cancer s "Cancer Staging Schemes", International Classification on Diseases Codes, and other staging schemes as appropriate.
Industry Type :
Medical / Healthcare / Diagnostics / Medical Devices
Functional Area :
Doctor / Nurse / Paramedics / Hospital Technicians / Medical Research